Re: a question about funding capital projects
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 06:19:30 -0700 (PDT)
David Entin <davidentin [at] comcast.net>
after deleting quoted digest and restoring subject line.

To respond to Sylvie Kashdan's request re: capital projects.  We decided
before move-in that persons doing additions to their homes after
completion/move-in would be required to pay the common costs at point of
completion.  This was to discourage households from putting off decisions on
finishing basements or attics, or additions, until after completion/move-in
order to avoid common costs.   It also means an irregular stream of funds to
the common fund which we dedicate to community capital projects.   These are
decided by an annual "doting" exercise where people get, for example, five
dots or votes to put up on the various, competing capital projects for
completion placed on large sheets of newsprint.  The Finance committee
tallies up the dots or votes and then, with approval of the Board of
Trustees, funds the projects with the highest number of votes/dots.   I hope
these ideas are helpful.
David Entin, Rocky Hill Cohousing, Northampton, MA