Re: a strategy for affordability
From: Brian Bartholomew (bbstat.ufl.edu)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 12:13:49 -0700 (PDT)

Marganne Meyer <marganne [at] macnexus.org> writes:

> I'd love to have a serious discussion about a cohousing model where
> the smaller, sustainable homes cost $40,000 and the buy-in for the
> rest of the project is $10,000. Yes, this is possible.

> Federal guidelines say people on disability can't afford to pay more
> than one-third their income for rent, which comes to around $450 a
> month.

A $60,000 mortgage for 20 years at 8 percent interest is $440/month.
Split the 1,500 sf above into a duplex of equal sizes, and get a
renter.  This estimate leaves things out and the numbers should be
worked more carefully, but it seems plausible to me.

Greg Nelson <ghn [at] pgt.com> writes:

> So in any case, there are *some* places where the zoning
> restrictions aren't the main cost obstacle.

Greg, will your jurisdiction permit a coho built like the above?

                                                        Brian