Re: a strategy for affordability
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 21:56:32 -0700 (PDT)

On May 24, 2010, at 11:40 PM, bb [at] stat.ufl.edu wrote:

Anyone who claims the legal red tape is not a big deal should be able
to come up with the names of 100 jurisdictions that currently allow
small homes cheaply, with sufficient due diligence to satisfy both a
homebuilder and a mortgage lender.

My informed guess is that 3 of every 4 cohousing communities had to get zoning exceptions or rezoning. The only way to do it is to have a good plan and to understand what a specific zoning board does or does not want to see.

There are a lot of people on the list who could share stories about how they got through zoning. One group in Florida had to address accusations that they were nudists. Prove a negative? They got the zoning change.

Everything is hard, but if you want to do it the only way is to start and to start with a specific plan. We have figures now about how low the costs have to go but I'm not hearing a plan.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert Einstein