Re: a strategy for affordability
From: Megan McDonough (mcdonough.megangmail.com)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 04:45:22 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all -

Where I live (in western Massachusetts) I know of *no* local jurisdictions
that restrict the size of the house you build.  Only a couple of subdivision
neighborhoods where restrictive covenants were established by the builder of
the subdivision.

Most towns have zoning that lists minimum lot sizes and setbacks that create
more suburban looking neighborhoods than the tight cluster most cohousing is
looking for.  However, many towns have adopted cluster subdivision or
conservation subdivision bylaws that encourage tight clustering of homes in
exchange for preserving open space on a rural lot.  The town I live in
adopted a cluster subdivision by law in response to a local resident trying
to build a cohousing style ecovillage.  It took him 3+ years to work with
the town, revise the zoning, etc before he could build - but now he has laid
the groundwork for new cluster development projects in town.

As far as house size is concerned the biggest issue is appraisals &
mortgages.  The appraisal industry is conservative - and usually does not
include green features in their appraisals.  If you build a small super
insulated 1 bedroom house it will get compared to other 1 bedroom houses in
your area for establishing the price - the fact that you put extra effort
into the green features won't be accounted for.  You can't get a mortgage
for more than the appraised value.

Banks only want to mortgage houses that they will be able to resell if
forced to foreclose.  Banks may resist mortgaging super tiny houses.
However, if you are talking about super tiny - you may not need a mortgage.

Thanks,
Megan

Message: 6