Re: Air Purifiers, Aranizers etc for pets near common space
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
I can't offer an authoritative response to this but can relate information given to me by an engineer friend who knew a chemistry professor who had the following experience: The professor had an Ionizer air cleaner in this lab on his lab table. He inadvertently left it on over the weekend. It was next to his bunsen burner. When he came in on Monday morning, the rubber hose to his bunsen burner was turned to mostly dust! He theorized that it was because the ions work by reacting with, and neutralizing, organic matter in the air, rendering the air 'clean' . He went on to postulate that since our lungs are 'organic matter, it would not be a good idea to sleep with an ionizer next to one's bedside. (as I had been doing). Although I did not have any corroborating proof of the professor's theory, I immediately discarded my ionizer on the principle of 'better safe than sorry'.
Anyone else have any information on this potential hazard?
James