Re: Air Purifiers, Aranizers etc for pets near common space
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 17:45:09 -0700 (PDT)

On May 25, 2010, at 5:08 PM, James Kacki wrote:

 He theorized
that it was because the ions work by reacting with, and neutralizing,
organic matter in the air, rendering the air 'clean' .  He went on to
postulate that since our lungs are 'organic matter, it would not be a
good idea to sleep with an ionizer next to one's bedside.

An ionizer has to have a ozone sensor. It should turn off something when the ozone goes over some level. There is a smell in the air when the ozone is just right and once you know it, you know how much is too much. Ozonators are used to purify water in swimming pools and we have one for out hot tub.

I used to have a Living Air machine that I loved. I have a mold allergy and I lived in Florida perfectly happily with the living air. The fan became loud so I threw it out. Big mistake. Hard time replacing it. Confusing information, etc. The Living Air was used at a garlic convention to keep the air clean.

I just bought an Oreck but haven't had it long enough to evaluate it. It does air purification and ionizing -- HEPA filter plus.

The HEPA filter will remove the dog and cat stuff from the air but the problem, as I understand it, is dander in rugs and on furniture.

Air filtration has believers and disbelievers. After being convinced by a sinus/allergy Dr to try an air purifier, I wouldn't live without one. Indoor air is just not clean. Since I started using one, no allergic reactions.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC