Re: a question about funding capital projects
From: David L. Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 23:59:36 -0700 (PDT)
Each household pays into a capital fund along with its monthly fee for the
usual stuff. The amount is highly skewed by ability to pay, set after we moved
in to make up for the lack of such considerations in our HOA fees. The monthly
amount ranges from $2 for low income/one bedroom to $20 for (relatively) high
income/four bedroom. Another initial reason for the fund's creation was that we
didn't end up with the expected (ha!) surplus from our construction budget that
we had planned to use for a number of post-move in capital purchases. The fund
accumulates in a special account, and we occasionally get updates on how much
there is. Sometimes quite a bit accumulates.
That's collection. Here's how it's spent:
1. Every once in a while we conduct a relaxed brainstorm of ideas for things
that would cost money but would improve our lives. Small, big, boring, pure fun
-- doesn't matter. The ideas are tossed out, discussed/explained a bit, then
written on a list. Every resident then gets a set number of "votes" to be given
to favorite projects. One can put all votes on one item or spread them around
as much as desired.
2. This provides us with a sense of the group's wishes, but it doesn't decide
anything. To actually spend funds on something from the list, an individual, or
more typically a committee or an ad hoc group, formulates a proposal, conducts
the necessary research, develops a plan for implementation, a budget and a work
plan as appropriate, solicits comments, lobbies, then eventually brings it to
the general meeting for consensus approval. To succeed, the idea need not have
been at or even near the top of the list of previously discussed items. It need
not have even been on the list. But the list provides a background in which an
item that was very popular when first suggested is more likely to win
consensus. Even if I think it's not such a great idea, I would tend to respect
the fact that many others did. But it's never a slam dunk.

David Mandel
Southside Park Coho, Sacramento