Re: a question about funding capital projects
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 06:23:09 -0700 (PDT)
We do have a separate fund for capital improvements. Anything under $500 and some a bit more is not considered a capital improvement. All our furniture in the CH, kitchen stuff, etc., is included in the Capital Reserves (replacements).

Our Capital Improvements Fund has been entirely funded by contributions. When some people have moved out, they have donated $2,000 to $10,000. Others have donated for specific projects they wanted. There were contributions to a memorial for a child who died that have and are being used for play equipment.

When people want a project, it has to be approved by the community since it will be an alteration of the common elements.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC