affordable cottages, larger homes mixed
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:23:42 -0700 (PDT)
http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/housing/2010-05-25-cottages_N.htm

Above is a link to a story that touches upon many of the topics we've discussed here involving affordable housing. Although it focuses primarily on single family home lots, I wonder how this would work in a cohousing arrangement. It would make both the main home more affordable and provide affordable rentals.

The article mentions several locations where planning departments are being a bit more flexible with rules. If creatively designed, how about developing a model for standard cohousing that includes smaller rentals on the same property? Easier if the main homes are detached, but might be viable if main homes share walls.

Some other points:
-- Rental income can help pay the mortgage for the main home
-- aging parents can move into cottages to maintain their independence.
-- Can be built so neighbors don't know they are there -- privacy issues.
-- Won't clutter the project, clash with the design of homes, or attract irresponsible renters. -- Gives project owners more direct control over who lives there and removes sometimes awkward requirements if low-cost living is tied to a government entity.

The article presents a lot of food for thought.

Cheers!
Marganne