Preparing for Electric Cars
From: evdavwes (evdavwesaol.com)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 04:06:28 -0700 (PDT)
I wonder what Cohousing communities are doing to prepare for electric vehicles,
which are likely to become more common as the plug-in hybrids (Nissan Leaf and
Chevy Volt) become available.

On this list there are a few references to individual with electric cars, but
not much in detail or in the last couple of years.

Westwood Cohousing currently has no electric vehicles, and noone with interest
in one any time soon (so far as the parking committee has heard).

Questions:

Where will such cars be parked?
How many spaces are you planning for?
Who will pay for the infrastructure (outlets, etc)?
How will the electricity used by paid for (metered or flat fee paid by the
owner, or paid by the community)?
Are there objections in the community to supporting electric cars (Examples:
"Internal combustion vehicles are more eco-friendly."  Or, "Electric cars will
be acceptable only after we put in the infrastructure to capture/generate
renewable energy ourselves.")?

Thanks

David

*****