Re: Balance Between Economic Viability and Vital community
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 17:59:16 -0700 (PDT)

On May 30, 2010, at 2:26 AM, Lamaia Hoffmann wrote:

We are currently considering 37 condo style units with 2 probable adjunct houses that would be on lots we'd sell off, but whose residents could well want to participate in the community to some level (current members have shown interest in the lots).

Most of the recent concerns about this have been in the over 40 range. Or over 45. The magic number is often stated as 25 but many communities are larger. (I don't remember the source of the research.)

A bigger issue than the number of units is the number of people. How large are your units? How many adults would you expect to live there? We have 43 units and the number of adults is about to reach 64, I think. That's a lot of people to keep informed on issues so they can responsibly consent or object in making decisions. But in the end, it just means a different kind of community and a different kind of decision-making structure.

(There is discussion on this in the archives.)

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC