Call for Articles, Communities #149: Elders
From: Communities Editor (editoric.org)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 08:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

/Communities/ magazine is now seeking articles for issue #149, “*Elders*.” The issue will be out in December 2010.

Please send your article idea to editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org> by *Friday, June 25, 2010*, or sooner if possible.

Your final article must reach us by *Friday, August 20, 2010*.

1. Theme articles: /*Elders*/

   /possible questions to address (feel free to pick and choose or
innovate):/
   * What roles do elders play in intentional community? in
     neighborhoods? in community-oriented groups?
   * Does your community value elders? How? Is this different from what
     you observe in mainstream society?
   * What benefits do elders provide to the communities in which they
     participate?
   * What benefits do elders derive from being in community?
   * How can you as an elder thrive in community?
   * What have you learned from elders in your community?
   * As a community elder, how have you passed on your wisdom?
   * Does your community have a way of bringing new elders in? What is
     it like to join community as an elder?
   * What is it like to become an elder while in community? What have
     you learned from the process of aging in community?
   * Do elders leave your community? If so, why? What is that process
     like, for the elders or for others?
   * Is the average age of your community increasing? What
     challenges/opportunities does this raise for the future?
   * Is it age or length of stay in your community that makes someone
     an elder, or both? How do the two interact?
   * When did you feel comfortable taking on the role of elder? How has
     that role been challenging for you?
   * What are the advantages of multi-generational communities? Of
     having elders involved in child-rearing? in mentoring youth? in
     decision-making? in daily life? What advantages do you as an elder
     experience from being around people of many ages, including the
     young?
   * What are the advantages of elders-only community (e.g., senior
     cohousing)?
   * How can a community become “elder-friendly”?
   * Does the presence of elders bring up issues related to technology
     use? physical sustainability? money? class? values? culture?
   * Is your community equipped to care for people in the final stages
     of life? If so, how?
   * For those elders who don’t live in or join formal intentional
     communities, what other steps can provide similar benefits?
     Downsizing? Sharing your home with students or others?
   * What are the advantages of shared housing incorporating both
     younger people and elders? What benefits do each derive from that
     arrangement?
   * How can elders support a more community-oriented world through
     philanthropy? through giving away or sharing land or material
     resources? through volunteer work?
   * Have you been part of an elders-only learning community or
     program? How can elders create or experience community through
     joint educational ventures?

Please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and concrete examples in your answers--these are what will make your ideas and observations most “real” and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this theme for /Communities/.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

   * Creating community in your neighborhood;
   * Starting a new community;
   * Process and communication issues in community; and
   * Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words. We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended resources and article leads. We’re seeking articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please check http://communities.ic.org/submit.php or contact us for our full Writers’ Guidelines--and let us know your article idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into /Communities/. Contact Chris Roth at editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>.

If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check http://communities.ic.org/submit.php or contact Yulia Zarubina at layout [at] ic.org <mailto:layout [at] ic.org> for our Photo Guidelines.

*I. What *“*Submitting an Article*” *Means.* We will promise to read your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

*II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time.* Please send the article only when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members. We endeavor to present a diversity of views on community, including controversial or critical views, in a respectful and cooperative manner. If your article may generate controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s) would want the chance to review it, please share your draft with group members to get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers’ Guidelines for additional details.)

*III. Publication Rights.* Once your article appears in /Communities/, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in /Communities/ the first time it appears in North America. In addition to appearing in /Communities/, your article may also appear on our website or in future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you’d like to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying, “This article first appeared in /Communities: Life in Cooperative Culture/, (date); for further information on /Communities/: communities.ic.org <http://www.ic.org/>.”

*IV. Photos.* If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that’s fine; however, please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can get an illustrator. Please check http://communities.ic.org/submit.php or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/
editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>

--
Chris Roth
Editor, Communities

for Communities advertising,