Re: economics of resale
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:51:30 -0700 (PDT)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA, long built.
I've been part of most of the resale transactions over the years here. On the whole, I'd say they average out to market rate. There are so many factors in how people price a house: an estate may price low to get a place sold fast; someone with a need for money may price high, and perhaps get it from someone who so wants to join that they will pay "whatever" to buy the only resale available here. But overall, it's a wash. Some people see the cohousing aspect as a big plus, others do not. When people are looking for comparables, I suggest they find places that have at least a double lot, as in addition to our single lot home sites, we have half our total land in commons. Kind of like we all bought two lots, built on one and pooled the others into commons.

But you are right, there are no real "comparables", except other places within your project, once there is a history of resales.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org
to see photos of our two available resales, at $248,000 and $385,000.
blue sky, sunny day, peonies, poppies, rhubarb and broccoli for the picking....