Climate Change, Bill McKibben and the 2010 Conference (was: Boulder Questions)
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:17:03 -0700 (PDT)
So, it looks like Boulder's temp this coming week will range from the
mid-50s to the mid-80s. I will leave for the 2010 National Cohousing
Conference on Monday. It will be really nice to get somewhere that's a
little warmer than Seattle (where it may get as hot as the 70s, but
highs may also stay in the 60s.

Although I've not researched it, Seattle weather has seemed pretty
different this year. In my travels, I've heard similar statements
about the local weather being unusual. Perhaps we're all just
sensitized to differences due to the attention that climate change has
received.

My exchanges with Bill McKibben, who's presenting the Cohousing
Conference keynote on Friday, suggest that climate change is here and
now - its already upon us. His words have been enlightening...
although also somewhat disheartening. He believes that we're already
in deep trouble, and that it might be too late for us to dig out and
reverse the steadily increasing increasing levels of atmospheric
carbon.

I guess I'd always thought of climate change (formerly known as global
warming) as something that my son or his children would face. Bill has
documented that the best scientific thinking is that its here-and-now.
In the past, I've joked about how global warming will just make
Seattle a more pleasant place to live. That seems a lot less amusing
after learning about the severe impact which is starting to manifest
elsewhere in the world.

The non-profit that Bill helped create, 350.org has already achieved
some impressive.results. 350.org mounted the single largest political
action that the world has ever seen in Oct. 24, 2009.

Its name comes from 350 parts per million, the maximum safe level of
atmospheric carbon - for humanity. You can learn more about their work
here:

http://www.350.org

350.org is a major Cohousing Conference sponsor this year. This is the
first time that a non-Cohousing organization has been one. Bill is a
long-time fan of Cohousing and has visited many in the North East...
He was recently at Hearthstone Cohousing in Denver, where we recorded
a portion of his keynote to limit the risk of our plans to use Skype.

350.org is mounting another campaign on October 10, 2010 - a global
work even! Its a PARTY on 10/10/10 (they are pretty clever about their
use numbers, which have no language barriers). I urge you to check
this out on their website... (and, of course, to come to the
conference):

http://www.cohousing.org/conference

By the way, at this moment, there are 279 people registered for the
conference. The maximum number that the banquet facility can hold is
300. We plan to accept Conference register at the door on the day of
the event, but that really depends on how the online registration
counts over the next few days...

Craig Ragland
Executive Director
Coho/US

Grow. Connect. Engage.
June 18-20, 2010
National Cohousing Conference Boulder, CO
www.cohousing.org/conference