Re: Climate Change, Bill McKibben and the 2010
From: Lucy Beck (stoltzhousegmail.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
Many of these questions, including the ones Marganne raises, are discussed
in Bill McKibben's new book, *Eaarth*.  I highly recommend it.  His point is
that its too late to outrun it, we're dealing with a changed "earth" no
matter what, hence the new name: Eaarth.  Craig mentioned  www.350.org which
is where a lot of the latest scientific info and environmental consequences
are discussed (you asked about a website, Marganne).  But *Eaarth* does a
really good job of sketching how broad the impacts are, as well as what
might be the most useful things to do in this new reality (which is here,
now).  Guess what some of them are:  localization, smallness, community!!
For the same reasons monocropping vast acreages only works for so long....it
decreases complexity, diversity, which are some of the keys to our
survival.  Creating big systems which are "too big to fail" is a disastrous
path.  And unfortunately, going north isn't going to be a panacea, because
the science shows what's going on up here re climate change is not very good
either.

Lucy Beck
Champlain Valley Cohousing
Charlotte, VT