Climate Change, Bill McKibben and the 2010 Conference
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:45:25 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon Villines writes:
> Bill is exactly right. As Amory Lovins has said, "Global Weirding is here".
> I have taken to advising my clients to adapt to the change and prepare for
> more extremes in the short run.

What do you advise them to do?

\Sharon
----

To follow-up, I think the most prudent advice is to not plan any cohousing
communities in low-lying places like the entire US coastal area, tidal basins
like Alexandria, VA and Annapolis, MD, and definitely not in the lower fifty
feet of a major watershed, regardless of what FEMA's maps might project.

Many people don't believe in flash flooding rising as high as a car.  How about
as high as a rooftop? In Arkansas, they believe, at least this month... In
Oklahoma, they believe, at least this week... In New Orleans, I still don't
think they believe it yet.  They are actually rebuilding in exactly the same
places that were under 20' of water. How quickly we disregard truth.

My teachers were telling me in the 1950's that it was possible that all the
glaciers could melt and all the oceans could rise 50'.  Believable? We believe
what we see, not what scientists project.  We may not see them all melted in
our lifetimes, but they are well on their way and no reversibility is even
predictable.

Tom Lofft

Liberty Village, MD