Re: size of community
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:17:42 -0700 (PDT)

Basically I think you have to assess as a community how much you can
drop the price down with the addition of "x" more households. ... is it enough to fully sell out the
project? You also have to be sure the number you are counting on is
real. ...Can the community run
on the number of units sold?

I missed the original question, but this brings up for me some practical advice based on RoseWind's experience. Keep in mind that you may end up with one or more units that doesn't sell in the ideal time frame. I suggest setting a development budget that is based on selling less than all your units - at least one unsold unit. Otherwise, the last unsold unit is apt to kick in problems. Paying tax on the unsold unit or lot, inflation in delayed development costs, etc.

Another approach, if starting from scratch is to clearly phase your development: When x number of families have bought in, we'll have a parking lot and paved streets, when X more, we'll have a common house, and when the last X join, we will have a shop and greenhouse. Or whatever specifics. What you don't want is to have all your projects partially done, held up for lack of joiners.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA, 24 households
with a garden full of cabbage, peas, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, rhubarb, and the first strawberries and beets.
Two resales available, at $248,000 and $385,000.
www.rosewind.org