troubled resident
From: Lynette Bassman (lbassmanalliant.edu)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:51:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hi.

We have an older resident who has recently been struggling with some kind of
dementia-like syndrome (still being diagnosed) that involves acute paranoia for
at least part of most days, and mild confusion during the good times.  Several
other residents have been in touch with her adult daughter who lives about 4
hours away, and have been helping manage the situation and take care of the
resident, taking her to doctors' appointments, trying to soothe her, encourage
her to take her medication, etc.  But her needs are escalating, and she does
not always respond to us.  Instead, she sometimes becomes quite frightened of
us.  So unless the situation improves very soon, we are thinking that she won't
be able to continue to live here, despite all the loving support that her
neighbors can provide.  We are wondering if any other communities have faced
similar situations and if so, what your experience was.  We especially are
struggling with the limits of the care that it is appropriate for neighbors to
provide, and how to help her daughter know when it is no longer okay for her to
live here, or at least not without professional in-home care.  Thank you for
any wisdom you can share.

Lynette
La Querencia Fresno Cohousing