Re: troubled resident
From: lcamundsen (lcamundsenshaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:14:11 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Lynette,
We have had an instance similar to the one you describe. It is very difficult. I think our strength was in the open communication network available to support the community members who involved themselves in the person's care.Eventually when the family members were able to be there for the person and arrangements had to be made, the issues came up at a community meeting and emotional support was offered by/for both community and family. However it is very hard to keep a balance during the transition time when the problems are not clear and the main focus is on the losses rather than the next steps. Three things I learned from our experiences are: 1. We are neighbours not professional care-givers and that is OK. 2.Doing our best , then stepping back is an honest and helpful thing to do because it leaves space for what needs to happen. 3. It is essential for us to know what resources are available for this kind of need in the wider community. Whether first contact is made through the emergency services or a medical clinic or even through police services, it is a beginning for the troubled person to get more professional help.

Good Luck! Please remember the person may not be themselves at all. What you are doing as good neighbours is what cohousing is all about. It is enough even if the resident's situation does not improve.
Camilla Amundsen
Quayside Village
Vancouver BC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynette Bassman" <lbassman [at] alliant.edu>