Re: Zoning for Cohousing
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 01:30:14 -0700 (PDT)
At 4:09 PM -0400 6/28/10, Laura Fitch wrote:
Check out this link to the overlay zoning that Amherst, MA wrote to allow for cohousing like projects. Look under section 4.5 Open Space Community Development.

http://www.amherstma.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=258

Laura ... this is a great document. So glad some planners are opening the way to accommodate changes for building homes that differs radically from what the 'norm' has been for so long.

I only skimmed the document, so perhaps you can tell me more about the problem of density. I've know of cohousing projects that identify locations, get people in the planning department to work with them, but then the neighbors protest the project because they feel it will increase density enough in an area to affect their quality of life, cause more traffic, etc.

Do some of the provisions in this document help projects avoid this NIMBY thing?

Cheers!
Marganne