Re: Welcoming new residents and saying good-bye to those who leave
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 10:34:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 3, 2010, at 5:06 PM, Debby Vajda wrote:

The membership committee of CoHo Ecovillage would be interested in
knowing what other established communities do to welcome new people
moving in, as well as how you say good-bye to those who move out.

Our Community Team tries to do parties for people leaving but it really depends on how close people feel to those leaving. What would happen if we gave a party and no one came? Sometimes, as Rob Sandelin has said, people burn their bridges before they leave.

Sometimes a few people get together and host a party open to all. This is hard to balance because what if one person leaving has a party and the other doesn't.

Sometimes we've done a special presentation of a cake or some such at another event -- after a meeting, at a general gathering in the piazza, etc. In one case the person did it themselves by saying, "I'll be in the piazza with a case of beer this evening to say goodbye."

We have a number of people coming and leaving in a period of a few months so I think they are planning one big party. Usually these are potlucks with a short period of introductions and remembrances, as appropriate.

We often do an annual anniversary party in November, the month of the first move-ins; Thanksgiving 2000 being the first celebration. We sometimes commemorate and welcome during that party. This year is the 10th anniversary so we are doing a big Please come back and celebrate effort, particularly with those who were originals.

Cohousing is hard. It's a lot of parties. People just can't keep up.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert Einstein