Welcoming new residents
From: Terri (terriphch.org)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 14:16:30 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Everyone,
The membership committee of CoHo Ecovillage would be interested in
knowing what other established communities do to welcome new people
moving in, as well as how you say good-bye to those who move out.
Thanks!
Debby

Debby Vajda
CoHo Ecovillage
Corvallis, Oregon
At Pleasant Hill Coho (Bay Area California) some of our experiences are similar to Sharon's (and our community is about the same age, 10 years next year). When new residents come we usually have a common meal for them, and we have a 'tying in' ceremony , using a scarf for each household where we have the new folks 'tie in' and sometimes we sing some coho songs and maybe give some 'tips for living here' to the new residents.

As far as when they leave, that has varied quite a bit, and as she said, depends on who those leaving are friends with, and how they have left things with the community. It has been as elaborate as a big party and 'roast' for the family who left, and as simple as 3-4 people taking someone out for dinner. One thing we do routinely is provide a photo book of all the residents, have everyone sign that, and give it to the people/person who is leaving. Some folks return for parties and events and maintain friendships here even if they no longer live here, and some we never see or hear from again.

Terri Hupfer
Pleasant Hill Coho