New coho book, View from 410
From: Elaine Ostroff (elaineostroff.org)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:16:09 -0700 (PDT)
Hello to the list. Thank you for all that I have been learning from you
these past 2 years. Now I'd like to share a new book that I've found very
helpful. Below is the review that I've posted on Amazon. If you know of
other first person accounts, I'd like to learn about them.

<This is a book that I didn't want to finish! It is the real story of what
happens in cohousing through the first person account of a deeply involved
participant from the earliest planning stages through the building, move in
and several years of settling in. This is a detailed look at Cambridge
Cohousing, a Massachusetts urban intergenerational community of 41
households. As a member of a 'Forming" group in Westport, MA., I found my
self nodding YES constantly as I moved with the author through the engaging,
exhausting and sometime frustrating and more often thrilling process of
their complex journey. The book gave me an inside view - it made me feel as
if I were there. The book gave me hope, that 'we' might do it.and why it
takes so much time. I understood more about my intuitive desire NOT to live
in 'senior's only community and what was so positive about families and
people of all ages living in an interdependent community.

I have been a student of Cohousing for about 2 years; eager to learn about
this remarkable process of building community through books, articles,
visits to established communities and meetings. The View from 410 is the
first publication that illuminates the intense process of what it really
takes to create a Cohousing community. This is a book for someone who
already knows a little about cohousing and wants to understand the intricate
dynamics and daily experiences of creating the shared living concept that is
Cohousing. Other books that I've read were very useful in describing the
history and the generic processes of creating cohousing, with brief
examples, of the variations in urban and rural cohousing in the US and
Denmark. Once you know the basics of cohousing, you'll be ready to dive into
the View from 410.>

Elaine Ostroff, Westport Cohousing (Forming and reforming group)