Re: Dining hall furniture
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:34:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 7, 2010, at 4:30 AM, Susan Bennett wrote:

We would like tables that seat 6-8 people and are attractive, sturdy, easy
and light-weight to move, and easy to fold up for storage.

Good luck! There is a thread, probably several, in the archives on tables. Nothing perfect. If you can design one, you will pay for your common house.

Ours are very stable and sturdy, and fold, but weigh over 100 pounds and cost a lot. Not recommended. Lift them first.

We've looked at the Southern Aluminum but not replaced ours because they are expensive (~$400) and those who don't have to move ours all the time think it's absurd to replace them. I copied all the information at the end of this message.

There will be a furnishings company near you that specializes in commercial establishments. They will bring samples to you.

We would like
comfortable stackable chairs.  Of course, we would prefer not to pay a
fortune for them, but we are willing to pay more for something that really
meets our needs.

http://www.thonet.com/product.asp?SelectProduct=9

The Riva stacking chair by Thonet. Designed by Giovanni Baccolini. Comes in blue, red, black, and two others -- grey and cream, I think. The black is is what we have and what I would recommend. One of our members brought samples from a wholesaler - like 10 -- for everyone to sit in. These are literally the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat in aside from my Eames Aeron. Stack 9 high. We have a cart to move them out of the room but usually just stack them to the side.

Reva Stacking Chair 1700
W21 D21 H33
Seat 18 x 17 H 17 1/2

Tubular steel frame. Polypropylene plastic shell. Stacks 9 high freestanding. Designed by Giovanni Baccolini circa 1999. In 2000 they were $72 a chair, likely to be over $100 now. In 2006, I was quoted $125. You will have to contact the manufacturer, because they are apparently only sold in bulk.

We literally sit in these for hours and hours. Even though people complain about sitting for hours and hours, I've never heard complaints like the ones you usually hear about chairs. Those with back and leg problems watch television in them because they are higher than soft furniture.

Ten years in, except for the ones that have been used as ladders, they are like new. Even the ones that have been used as ladders are not all scuffed or gouged. Only one is really noticeable. Some toddler seats have scratched the surface a bit but padding would have prevented this.

Sharon
Takoma Village Cohousing

SOUTHER ALUMINUM TABLE INFORMATION:

Has anyone used Southern Aluminum folding tables in their commonhouse? We saw these at a community center and they were quite handsome. Not wood, but light and sturdy. We have wonderful tables but it takes two people to fold them up and moving 10 is a real chore.

http://www.southernaluminum.com

Table Specifications for the Alulite, medium cost and options.

http://www.southernaluminum.com/alulite_tables/specifications.html

The iDesign has endless color variations for the tops and more colors for the legs. They would look more upscale. The Alulite still looks like a banquet table. The iDesign also has more edge designs which are nice. For the iDesign colors click on the color samples to change the color on the table image.

http://www.southernaluminum.com//idesign/dyot.html

Table tops on the iDesign are from WilsonArt. Roll over each color to see a larger square:

http://samples.wilsonart.com/c-71-color-groups.aspx

Options on the tables include a sound damp:

http://www.southernaluminum.com/alulite_tables/sound_damp.html

For a sample card table here is a comparison -- the cost is the price
for ONE table  -- they do offer quantity discounts:

The Mardi Gras line is the least expensive but has a table top only 1" thick which looks cheaper.

Weight  21lbs
Warranty  5-10 years
Color tops:  3
Edging: flat only
Legs: Mineral Bronze
Cost:  $220.00

ALulite

Weight:  29 lbs
Warranty: 15 years
Color tops: 6
Edging: flat only
Leg color: Mineral Bronze
Cost: $245.00

iDesign

Weight 33lbs
Warranty:  lifetime
Colors: GOBS!!    The colors are on the Wilsonart.com website.  Colors
displayed are just a few suggested colors.
Edging: flat or rounded
Cost: $344.00
Leg color: 12 colors

Shipping for 1 table from Arkansas to DC is about $100.00.