Re: Dining hall furniture
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:18:35 -0700 (PDT)
On tables, one thing I can say is that the dining room will probably be much quieter with small tables.

I live on the second floor and enter the catwalk over the dining room, the ceiling of which is two stories tall. I can tell when I open the door whether people are sitting at large tables or small.

Our tables seat two on each side and one at each end straddling the center post of the legs (don't get legs with center posts). Six people a table speak much more softly than 14 or 18 at a long table. With just as many people sitting no more than 6 at a table, the noise is at least 75% quieter.

Hard to measure noise but the first time I walked into Monday night dinner when they were sitting at individual tables, I thought no one had shown up and expected to see 4 or 5 people. But there were 30.

People still prefer to sit at long tables, however. It seems more chummy, I think. After meals, people move up or down the table as people leave. So get acoustics.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert Einstein