LIveable Communities Award
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:07:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all!

Last year I had the honor and privilege of being a judge for the AARP and National Association of Home Builder's "Liveable Communities" awards. Professionals of all stripes in the housing field submit entries under rigorous guidelines to win one of these awards. They are given in a variety of categories from very tiny to very large communities, condos, coops, single-family developments and for a number of reasons such as design, sustainability, etc.

At the time, I wondered why there weren't a zillion entries from cohousing communities. Cohousing would have eaten up the awards -- we fit soooo perfectly in their criteria.

To wit ... I just got the following notice from the coordinator about this year's "competition." O my! The deadline is FRIDAY. But just in case someone out there in cohousing-land wants to apply the information is pasted below. I requested to be notified next year well in advance of the deadline and, of course, I will pass that info on to you all.

I do hope someone out there can submit one or more entries for this year. The contact information is listed at the end of the embedded paragraph.

Have fun!

--begin--
A friendly reminder that it is not too late to enter and/or let your contacts know about the 2010 Livable Communities Awards co-sponsored by AARP and the National Association of Home Builders. The Awards seek to recognize and honor forward-thinking builders, remodelers, developers, architects and architect planners who have built attractive homes and communities that enable residents to enjoy comfort and safety in attractive settings. Apply for the awards online at www.nahb.org/livablecommunities by Friday, July16th. Winning projects will be honored at the 2011International Builders Show in Orlando next January, but will also receive great media and consumer attention via AARP’s website and media contacts. For more information about the Awards and to view videos featuring previous winning projects, go to www.aarp.org/homedesign.

Katherine G. Wood
Project Manager
Housing & Mobility Options/Livable Communities
AARP
601 E Street, NW
Washington, DC  20049
kwood [at] aarp.org