Re: How do we hold each other accountable?
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:54:16 -0700 (PDT)
Eris, i think the more "interactive" social type problems you mention
come with their own built in "natural" consequences.

There are a thousand daily opportunities to be a good
neighbor/community member.  I won't take all of them, but I should
certainly take SOME: I should pick up a bit of trash I see on the
lawn; help someone move furniture; bring dinner to someone who is ill;
bring in someone's laundry from the line when I see the rain is about
to start; lend someone sugar or onions when they need them.  What
happens if I never do any of these things?  I think the natural
consequence will be that people will be less inclined to help ME move
furniture, bring in my laundry or lend me onions.  My relationships
with my neighbors will be more distant and less rewarding.

I don't think you need to take any special action to MAKE consequences
for those types of things, because the consequences occur naturally.
I know for sure that when someone who is an active, giving member of
the community sends out the call for help watering their garden or
watching their kids, I'm more likely to jump to the task than if they
are someone I don't see around much.

The hard part is when someone doesn't CARE about those things, and
acts to inhibit or negatively impact the smooth functioning of the
rest of the community.  The infraction is social, the consequence is
social, and I can't think of a way to *enforce* neighborliness beyond
peer pressure.  Can you?

- Diana