Re: How do we hold each other accountable?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:13:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 26, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Jeanne Goodman wrote:

 If people aren't
participating now it's not likely that holding them accountable will change
who does most of the work.

I've come to the same conclusion. I would like all residents to participate somehow, even socially. I've also come to accept that only one person in most households will be really involved, either because they have children or one didn't really want to live here in the first place. Or both will be involved a the level of one in another household. As people have left we have been very fortunate to have them replaced by people who were much more involved in the community, so over time I feel the community growing stronger and it is much more likely when I ask who is.... that someone will have taken responsibility for whatever it is.

The people who do the work also have a lot of power in deciding how things will be done, and that is also compensation. I no longer do what I really don't want to do, but I still get anxious when things are not done and I don't want or can't do them.

When I get really upset is when I've spent 20 hours that week on community stuff, or an entire three day weekend when everyone else is off picnicking or whatever, and I ask someone to do something and they say, "Oh, let me show you how to do that yourself." That's when I wish we had buckets of water hanging on the walls.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC