Re: Social participation (was How do we hold each other accountable?)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:10:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 27, 2010, at 6:12 AM, Moz wrote:

Kathy Kelly said:
Agreed! Excellent discussion. Building and maintaining social capital
within our communities is slippery at best.

This discussion is quite inspiring for us antipodeans who are working
on building our coho. Thanks so much for the reminder that it's both
ongoing work and ongoing reward. I admire you all a lot.

Look for people who like to arrange parties. It's harder than you would think. It requires not only the person who thinks creatively but is also the person has to be a good manager of people. And remembers to do things like arrange clean up and order cups. Having two people who work well together can work but co-leadership is a balancing act.

Also look for people who like to manage the kitchen. Making a group kitchen work is hard. How many supplies do you stock, etc.

As if you have a choice about any of these when you are selling units, but I think it might be a good thing to design your workshare _values_ upfront. Does it include meals? Does it include governance? Does it include party planning?

Some will want to limit it to what absolutely has to be done to keep the building from falling down, period. And you will argue about that is.

Sharon
------
Sharon Villines
"On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time." George Orwell