Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 79, Issue 1
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 09:35:45 -0700 (PDT)
I concur with Sharon.

Whether it is a written rule anywhere or not, I've been working
closely with mortgage lenders for the last 2 years, and all of them
limit how many rental / non-owner-occupied units a development can
have.  The bankers who handle the mortgage process are quite upfront
about it, too.  (Fortunately, of all the problems Mosaic Commons has
had getting mortgages, that particular one has never been an issue.)

Relatedly, lenders want to see that no one entity owns too large a
percentage of the units.  (Sometimes including the developer!  Which
is very frustrating.)

Lots of things can block mortgages even if there's no written rule
REQUIRING they block mortgages.

- Diana