Re: WANT MORE POSITIVE MUNICIPAL REFERENCES AS TO BENEFITS OF COHOUSING TO THEIR COMMUNITIES AND COPIES OF ACTUAL ZONING ORDINANCES THAT ALLOWED COHOUSING/ECOVILLAGES TO BE CONSTRUCTED WITHIN A TOWNSHIP!
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:28:21 -0700 (PDT)
Sally,

Frederick County, Maryland (not all that far from SE PA) has an enacted
cohousing ordinance, created specifically for Liberty Village Cohousing.
Ultimately it was not used as the community was constructed under a PUD
zoning.
I don't know if you could find a Frederick County commissioner today who
would go out of his/her way to actively support cohousing (i.e. like writing
a letter to PA) as the relationship has not been a lovefest.  But the zoning
ordinance exists and is copied below from the link provided by the Count
website.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/frederickco_md/frederickcountymarylandcodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:frederickco_md
Search on "cohousing"

Good luck,

Michael Barrett
Shadowlake Village
Blacksburg, VA

When I try to send this my emailer tells me some of the pictures may not be
included.  So if there is nothing between here and the start of Sally's
message, go to the link above
DIVISION 2.  COHOUSING DEVELOPMENT
§ 1-19-10.200.  PURPOSE.
     The purpose of cohousing development is to provide a method of
development that promotes social interaction, permits a quality living
environment, safeguards children, conserves the natural environment, and
conserves energy. The intent is to encourage resident participation in
design, and planning, as well as self-management and community, in a compact
and orderly development.
(Ord. 91-31-031, 11-19-1991;  Ord. 08-26-502, 10-14-2008)
§ 1-19-10.200.1.  SCOPE.
     The provisions of this division shall apply only to cohousing
developments. Such developments shall consist of no more than 35 units, not
including common facilities. An incorporated development organization
consisting of a majority of the intended number of residents of the
development shall be required for application under these provisions. All
cohousing developments are subject to the requirements of § 1-19-8.620
through  § 1-19-8.620.6.
(Ord. 91-31-031, 11-19-1991;  Ord. 02-26-322, 11-21-2002;  Ord. 08-26-502,
10-14-2008)
§ 1-19-10.200.2.  DISTRICTS WHERE PERMITTED.
     Cohousing developments are permitted in all R Districts. The Planning
Commission in approving subdivision plats may permit modifications in lot
areas, lot width, yards (building restriction areas), including zero lot
lines, or other requirements consistent with meeting the purposes of this
division. Cohousing development is not permitted unless community water and
sewer are provided, or such other available ecologically sound methods of
water distribution and sewage disposal as may be approved by the county and
state authorities. Individual wells and septic systems are not allowed.
(Ord. 91-31-031, 11-19-1991;  Ord. 08-26-502, 10-14-2008)
§ 1-19-10.200.3.  DENSITY DETERMINATION AND DESIGN REQUIREMENTS.
     (A)     The average dwelling unit density will be no greater than the
permitted density for the districts in which the units are located.
     (B)     For the purpose of this division, DENSITY means the maximum
number of dwelling units which could be built on net developable land area
in the zoning district. Net developable land is that land remaining after
flooding soils areas and rights-of-way for principal highways have been
deducted from the gross site area.
     (C)     Attached housing is permitted in approved co-housing
development projects in all R Districts under this division, provided any
attached units comprise blocks of no more than 6 units each.
(Ord. 91-31-031, 11-19-1991; Ord. 07-29-469, 9-4-2007;  Ord. 08-26-502,
10-14-2008)
§ 1-19-10.200.4.  GREEN AREA SPACE REQUIREMENT.
     Reduction of individual lot areas will be reserved as green area, which
shall be conveyed to a nonprofit home association comprised of the
homeowners of the development. The amount of green space shall be a minimum
of 60% of the total land area of the development. Such green area shall not
be impervious or include any parking areas, vehicular access or circulation
driveways and shall otherwise meet the definition of green area in this
case.
(Ord. 91-31-031, 11-19-1991;  Ord. 08-26-502, 10-14-2008)
§ 1-19-10.200.5.  PROCEDURE.
     The procedure to obtain approval of a cohousing development is as
follows.
     (A)     A Concept Plan is submitted to the Planning Commission at least
45 days in advance of the meeting at which is proposed to be considered
which shows:
          (1)     The type of dwelling units, the common facilities, and
building restriction lines;
          (2)     Vehicular and pedestrian street layout;
          (3)     Green area system;
          (4)     Vicinity map (scale no smaller than 1 inch equals 2,000
feet);
          (5)     Number of acres in the entire tract;
          (6)     Overall dwelling unit density; and
          (7)     The name of the incorporated resident development
organization.
     (B)     The property in question shall be posted for a minimum of 30
days prior to the Planning Commission meeting.
     (C)     If the Concept Plan is approved by the Commission, the
developer will then proceed in accordance with the regulations. Final plats
on cohousing development shall bear a statement that the land lies within an
approved cohousing development.
     (D)     In addition, the development is subject to the following
conditions.
          (1)     The development of land within the cohousing development
is permitted only in accordance with the approved final plat.
          (2)     The agreements concerning the ownership and maintenance of
open (green) space land will be recorded simultaneously with the final flat.
(Ord. 91-31-031, 11-19-1991;  Ord. 00-21-263, § 1, 7-18-2000;  Ord.
08-26-502, 10-14-2008)
§ 1-19-10.200.6.  ACCESS DRIVES AND OFF- STREET PARKING.
     The intent of this division is to encourage the removal of cars and
roads to the periphery of the development. Therefore all parking shall be
off-street parking and must be within the boundaries of the cohousing
property. There shall be no minimum distance from a parking area to the home
which it serves. Suitable emergency access lanes shall be provided to permit
entry of fire and rescue vehicles to the immediate vicinity of each unit.
All access points to state and county roads must comply with the requisite
access permit requirements.
(Ord. 91-31-031, 11-19-1991;  Ord. 08-26-502, 10-14-2008)