Re: Landmark consultant
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 05:38:34 -0700 (PDT)
The controversy surrounding "Landmark Forum" seems to be fading away
which is probably good but I decided to comment anyway.

I find the Landmark phenomenon to be devisive in the sense that some
people stongly support it and others of us it find it distasteful.

Years ago my wife took the Landmark Forum at the urging of a friend.
I remember doing some independent research to find out what she had
gotten involved with. At the end of her Forum (several sessions) they
invited associates of participants to attend an introductory session
which I did.  I became quite skeptical tho I dont remember much
detail. My wife remembered "they charge an awful lot for what they
do". I also recall they used techniques that struck me as
manipulative.

A place to start finding a critique is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmark_Education#Criticism_and_response

A number of folks in a community I participate in are proponents
of Landmark.  I have concluded that the best approach generally is
to avoid the topic.  Sort of like how I avoided the topic of religion
with my mother with whom I had considerable differences on the topic.

A complicating factor is the tendency of Landmark folks to use Landmark
jargon in non Landmark contexts and expect others to use that frame of
reference for discussion of a topic.  Does Landmark encourage or
discourage this?

Fred