Re: Rice Cookers
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 11:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
Research and recommendations I did for Takoma Village a couple of years ago. Someone fixed ours so we never replaced it. It has a stainless steel interior and the new ones are teflon. We were in dispute about getting teflon (A dispute I wish someone would resolve, please!) some wanting it and others not.

Someone fixed the foot on ours and we still have it. I don't know the make and model but it is so old I'm sure it is no longer available. The next time I go downstairs (and remember) I'll look. It produces a lot of rice, not sure if it is 25 cups, though. It does get used a LOT.

Sally (below) reviews rice cookers so it might be worth an email to her if she still hasn't reviewed the larger models.

Wikipedia -- everything you ever wanted to know about rice cookers;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker

Sally's Kitchen Recipes. I
http://www.sallyskitchen.com/

Sally's Reviews of 10 cup models
http://www.sallyskitchen.com/html/reviews.html

Gourmet Sleuth's reviews. Includes larger models:
http://gourmetsleuth.com/howtoselectaricecooker.htm

Compare prices on larger models:
http://www.smarter.com/---se--qq-rice+cookers--pt-0--tt-.html

Better prices: 25 cup models. More expensive. $90+;Walmart sells the
Aroma for $89. Costco also has good price but may not be in stock.
http://www.nextag.com/commercial-rice-cookers

They vary widely in price -- Smaller are about $30 but one for $169
recommended for brown rice, but the Oster also does brown rice and is
the one she uses but it does not have a glass lid. All have non-stick
surfaces. Could get two and have more options when cooking or is it
just too small?

25 cup models. More expensive. $90+;Walmart sells the Aroma for $89.
These are so cheap it seems we should replace the one we have.
http://www.nextag.com/commercial-rice-cookers

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines