Re: Required public use of common house
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:15:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 19, 2010, at 12:07 AM, Katie Henry wrote:

So my question is ... How would people feel about joining a cohousing project that included a legal commitment to make parts of the common house (most likely the kitchen and ballroom/dining room) available to specified local groups at regular intervals? (Maybe once or twice a month max, although it might be mostly
end-of-year holiday functions.)

Once or twice a month I think would be nothing to worry about.

It would be important to have other rooms that the community could keep private. Our commonhouse is very open so if another group is using it, they pretty much fill the place. Only the office, workshop, and a small TV/game room are off to the side.

If outside groups were using it very often, it influences how the room is decorated as well. You think differently about public vs private space.

There have been a number of communities who have said they rent their CH regularly. Nyland has an active rental program or shared space arrangement. You might call them.

I find the CH so energy consuming in terms of major and minor maintenance and repair that rentals to help maintain it are now looking very good. But because our CH is so open, it also means the CH is unavailable for anything else.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC