Re: FIRST POST Questions and sort of statement
From: lcamundsen (lcamundsenshaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 17:39:23 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,
Wording of first principles is tricky to say the least. The fact is we are governed by whatever rules are in place wherever the project is created. That being said, our cohousing group is one that prefers to avoid formal rules wherever possible. The "wording" issue always must be given time and energy and sometimes it is just too much.We choose to have one simple set of bylaws as required by our provincial law.These would cost money in legal fees to change.Then we have guidelines regarding other stuff that can be and has changed by community consent. Policy on smoking is an example.Then we have some understandings that are pretty flexible and change according to on going consultation. One example of this is use of common areas for scheduled individual projects, such as a meditation class.
I think this structure is fairly common among cohousing groups.
Ideas have to start somewhere with someone so it seems, Wayne, you are it. We had a similar beginning . It did not last long because that person realized early on that the enterprise needed a group to bring it to reality. At that point the one has to give over power to the whole group to work through the process of getting started. It is important to have clear structures to ensure equity and fairness . There are good getting started guides that will help to set up such structures free on line available through the coho network.
Keep on keeping on!
Camilla

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Kacki" <jimkacki [at] mts.net>