Re: MBTI personality type
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 09:52:57 -0700 (PDT)
On 3 Oct 2010, at 12:22 PM, Liz Ryan Cole wrote:

> Maybe a session at a national conference on the use of MBTI as a community
> building tool?  liz

I have a highly paid policy consultant who uses the MBTI as a way to help
people understand each other. Joe isn't stupid or inconsiderate, he is a ____.
He thinks and feels differently. The Keirsey version is very accessible and now
has a free test.

http://www.keirsey.com/sorter/instruments2.aspx?partid=0

I haven't taken the free test but they used to have a $15 version that gave
detailed explanations of your results including a graph of where the other
people taking that test fell on each scale. The graphs alone were worth the
price of the test so if the free version doesn't include detailed explanations
and graphs, spring for the paid one.

On one dimension the graph is like a one-humped camel and one like a two humped
camel.  That in  itself is informative because it doesn't conform to the
standard grading curve we all know about — people are B's or D's  with a few
A's and E's but very few C's at all. People are one or the other. One result of
mine was confusing repeatedly until I realized I'm a P at home and a J in
public. In cohousing i'm moving closer to a P in 'public' but still more J than
I am in my living room which is a mess.

I find this kind of measurement fascinating and it has helped me enormously in
understanding why other people just can't see my point of view at all. Or me
theirs. I can use the test to see theirs better but I really need them to also
take the test and read the results so they can see mine. So a community-wide
effort to test and share I  would find most helpful. Past efforts here have
failed. But if I could get cohousers in California to rave about it and tell
someone here ….

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines