Re: How do you set up a wiki?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 21:21:13 -0700 (PDT)
On 5 Nov 2010, at 9:40 PM, Marty Maskall wrote:

> We are a forming group.  We are looking for a solution for storing our
> documents (Agenda, Minutes, Membership List, LLC Operating agreement, etc.).
> We have a google group, but google groups has discontinued storing documents.
>  We are wondering about Google Docs.

A wiki is much better and I advise you to use a wiki. Everything is in one
place and integrated. You can organize the pages in hierarchies like an outline
and move them around AND search the whole mess.

Google Docs is very frustrating and impossible to organize.

Go to Google Sites, as in web site, and set up a new site. A Google Site is a
wiki. You have to set up a Google Account with a password — not an email
account. If you have been using Google Docs you have an acct already.

6 months or so ago, I set up a sample wiki based on our facilities wiki, which
has now morphed into more. I did it for the Reserve Study group to show them
how to store data related to a Reserve Study. You can look at this one then set
up one and play with it. You can always delete it.

https://sites.google.com/site/wikifacilitiesdemo/

The pages can be reorganized, moved, commented on. You can attach documents to
them like contracts. You make all the decision about what a page will be named
and where it will be placed.

Google does have a way to export your data so it isn't stuck there.

I downloaded MediaWiki but had not a clue what to do next.

We registered a domain name so we have tvc-wiki.org as well as
takomavillage.org. TVC-Wiki is easier to remember than a google site address.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC