Re: retreats
From: Ellen Keyne Seebacher (ellepobox.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 01:07:59 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 09:37:51AM -0500, Diane wrote:

> Cambridge Cohousing is considering holding a retreat.  We'd like to
> know something about the retreats that other communities do.

Mosaic Commons held at least two retreats in the years between my
joining (2003) and completion of construction (2009).

Both were weekend retreats.  Their purpose was community-building, and
the one I attended (at Friendly Crossways Retreat Center in Harvard,
Mass.) did seem to benefit the group.  The cost was, if I recall
correctly, in the range of $150-200 for our family of four.

What we did:  ate together (something we'd rarely been able to do
except at potlucks after twice-monthly meetings), sang together, did
crafts together, watched our kids (then mostly pretty small!) run
around, held a talent show, did some brainstorming....  It was pretty
much practice for living together as a community.

Most folks in Mosaic haven't had time, energy or money to think about
retreats since move-in, and I'm not sure what a retreat would offer us
now that we *are* living together -- especially since most of the kids
in the community are now tweens and teens and it would be much harder
to be cooped up with them at this point :-)

--
Ellen Keyne Seebacher                   elle [at] pobox.com