Re: Senior cohousing
From: Beverly Jones Redekop (beverly.jones.redekopgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:37:47 -0800 (PST)
Yarrow Ecovillage is developing its multigenerational cohousing first, but
we also plan to have seniors cohousing onsite.  We figure that some seniors
enjoy the liveliness and vitality of children and other seniors would prefer
to avoid the need for conversations about how children need to remember to
pick up scattered outside toys.  Many of the moms in the multigenerational
have plans to sneak over to seniors cohousing for lovely quiet events with
candles and tablecloths!

I agree that we could use Sharon's list as a reminder of how to keep
multigenerational attractive for people of all ages, but even if we "fix"all
of those items, there might still be people who want to feel free to ....I
don't know, grow poisonous flowers in their window boxes or leave delicate
china figurines on a table outside their front door.  It might be nice to
have a common house bathroom that would never have water splashed about or
grimy marks on the handtowel.  I would not take the need for seniors
cohousing as evidence of failed multigenerational cohousing.

I really like Sharon's list, however, and will share it with my neighbours
and neighbours-in-waiting.

Thanks,
Beverly

www.yarrowecovillage.ca (1 hour east of Vancouver, BC)