Re: Senior cohousing
From: S. Kashdan (skashdancablespeed.com)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:15:45 -0800 (PST)
Jackson Place Cohousing is nine years old. We have a multi-age community,
with members ranging from 0 to their eighties. We have a few members who are
in their early sixties and have been laid off from good paying white-collar
jobs. They may find lower paying jobs, but, given the current job market,
they may not, and illness may make early retirement necessary anyway. And,
when thinking about the Social Security System, we also really need to
remember the people who help us by building and
maintaining our facilities through their manual labor, as well as the farm
workers, truck drivers, waiters and waitresses, and supermarket employees
who help us get our food, and even the physical therapists and
chiropractors, all of whom often need to retire earlier than the average
white-collar working person who does office and teaching and other such
jobs. And we need to remember
that many older people who are laid off from white-collar jobs when
companies cut back are
discriminated against because of their higher qualifications, which might
justify higher pay, and therefore those people often have more difficulty
getting new jobs even
if they want and need to continue working.

Here at Jackson Place Cohousing we are currently discussing how we as a
community can develop a support system to help neighbors who need to retire
and/or
become disabled in some way, so they won't have to leave our community
because of either financial or support or health care reasons.
We would appreciate learning about how other established communities are
dealing with this.

Sylvie

Sylvie Kashdan
Jackson Place Cohousing