support groups / designing frugal & urban cohousing?
From: Naomi Anderegg (naomi_andereggyahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:13:43 -0800 (PST)
Hm . . it seems to me like part of this is designing your cohousing community
be well within all your members' budgets from the get-go, so that you as
individuals and as a group have a healthy financial cushion to rely on as
needed. For example, I could probably buy a $120,000 house (or a $200,000 house
if I was willing to sell my soul), but I'm really interested in doing urban
retrofit, which I think could realistically be done for $60K - $70K per
household and in a way that it would be very unlikely that you’d lose money on
your investment. (This would allow me to save more each year and retire
younger--I'm under 30 so I've got a while to go any way you look at it.)
Another
way would be to make sure that you designed your community in a way that it
would increase in value and that renting a studio apartment within the
community
was an option—so that if nothing else members would at least have a solid
financial investment by belonging to the community and could sell out and move
to a smaller space without leaving the community.

I've got a neighborhood in mind where houses routinely go for $20K - $60K each,
but there are really several neighborhoods like this in Birmingham (AL--not
UK),
where I live. My thoughts are that if you could get a group together then they
could buy up most of a block, inviting current residents to join, pay an extra
$5K towards the group budget, buy an extra house to use as the common house
when
there's enough money for it, combine adjacent back yards to create common
space,
etc, for way less than what a lot of cohousing is costing. In Birmingham (and
probably a lot of other urban areas), most houses cost less than they would
cost
to build, so from my perspective buying & retrofitting existing housing would
be
the most financially responsible decision, in addition to being environmentally
responsible. (Reuse and all that--avoiding new building is better than all but
the very best building practices.) Our neighborhoods are also often scattered
with vacant lots--lots that it just doesn't make sense to build on right now.
These could be bought by the cohousing development and preserved for extra
space
for playgrounds or gardening or natural habitat or extra outdoor living space.
I also think that cohousers moving into "iffy neighborhoods" makes financial
sense from an investment standpoint. A cohousing community would likely "bring
the neighborhood up", increasing real estate values near the cohousing
community
and in the cohousing community in addition to improving the perception of the
area. And even in a neighborhood with relatively high crime levels, I think
that
houses in a cohousing block would be a horrible target for crime--because part
of cohousing is knowing your neighbors well enough that you also know who
should
and shouldn't be going into their houses/cars. Honestly, I think that it could
spark neighborhood revitalization in a way that several individual families
moving into a neighborhood just couldn't. (I don't suspect that cohousing
adjacent to suburban subdivisions or rural properties would have the same
effect
though--are there any stats available on this?)

I’m really interested on hearing any thoughts anyone has on this—has the idea
of
using cohousing as a means of improving a neighborhood or city come up
anywhere?
Has it been successful? What about the idea of being involved in cohousing as a
way to lower the cost of housing—by building community somewhere cheap instead
of attempting to buy community somewhere expensive?

Best,

Naomi Anderegg