Re: Do-It-Yourself Bookkeeping?
From: Frances Freewater (freedoansonic.net)
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 08:53:25 -0800 (PST)
I'm responding as a resident of Yulupa Co Housing in Santa Rosa, CA

We have always had an in house person do our books and it's been very
successful.

Frances F.
On Jan 2, 2011, at 3:01 AM, R Philip Dowds wrote:

Our 32-unit community is considering (with some fear and trepidation)
dropping the bookkeeping and check-writing services of our management
company (which is far from perfect at this job), and doing it for ourselves in Quickbooks. As a self-taught amateur who has used MYOB and Quickbooks to manage the finances of organizations much larger and more complex than our community, this seems like a good move to me — but others are very wary, and
want to know more about how this is working for other cohos.

So, if you have relevant experience and could reply ...
* Are you doing your own bookkeeping in house?  If so ...
* What configuration of volunteers, programs, and procedures is working for
you?  And,
* Did you try it, but then abandon it?  Why is that?

Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA