Re: Do-It-Yourself Bookkeeping?
From: Bryan Syverson (bryan.syversonfresnocohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:17:35 -0800 (PST)
Here at Fresno Cohousing, I take care of the book-keeping. I am also the HOA
treasurer.
We have an outside CPA do the taxes and review the books once a year.
I didn't know how to use QuickBooks, so I had a lot to learn, although I'd
had one accounting course.
The first year was a lot of work.  Had to figure out how the accounts needed
to be set up.
Since you're taking over for an outside book-keeper, I'm guessing that's
already done, though.

The only negative I can think of is that there are only a few members of our
community who could competently do this.
After a year and a half, it isn't that many hours, but you have to be a
little OCD about it.
So job security is a downside (since this is an unpaid position).

Best of luck.

-Bryan Syverson
La Querencia Fresno Cohousing
Fresno, CA