Re: Senior cohousing
From: Richart Keller (richart.kellergmail.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:59:59 -0800 (PST)
One way of dealing with the aging in place issues plus bringing in young
families might be to construct a new section of the cohousing community (or
a new nearby community) which is specifically designed to accomdate older
folks--smaller units, easily accessible physically, clustered more closely
together, and directly adjacent to a village of basic services including
transportation, convenience retail, and, ideally, medical/dental services.

With the connection to the existing cohousing community, folks from the
existing cohousing might feel more inclined to move to the new section as
they become less mobile and need smaller living quarters, thus freeing up
housing for younger families.  Designed appropriately, there would be no
pressing need to put age restrictions on the new housing; in fact, they
might also accommodate younger folks who are less mobile, thus increasing
the diversity of the community.

Rick

Richart Keller, AICP
Pioneer Valley Cohousing