Re: Senior cohousing
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 09:22:34 -0800 (PST)
This is exactly what we're doing here at Songaia. A subset of the
Community has already acquired two adjoining property that will host
clusters of senior-friendly spaces.

Both of these groups are exploring variations of the conventional
Cohousing housing model, including smaller spaces which may not be
fully self-contained that share more extensive common areas. We're
trying to learn from other sources of wisdom about how seniors can get
the care they need through the end of their lives, instead of just
serving housing healthy seniors until they need to move to something
like assisted care.

The first of these (New Earth Song) is now under development by a
group that I helped form. I'm no longer involved in that group except
as a supportive member of the broader community and I still have a
small amount of equity in the project. It will have six
fully-accessible spaces. The second (Life Song Commons, where we now
live after selling our Songaia Cohousing home) is in the early
visioning stages - we're not ready for outside involvement in this
project. We will be inviting new people (especially empty nesters to
seniors) to participate, but that probably won't be until I've retired
as Exec Dir of Coho/US - unless one of the other four owners decides
to more actively spearhead the large amount of work.

The Songaia HOA (the owners of the 10.6 acres where the 13 unit
Songaia Community is based) is not involved directly in the
development of these properties. All of us getting involved in this
are intent on mainting the large organic gardens, orchards, and
natural forest. The Songaia HOA is, however, actively involved in
formulating a new vision for our new neighborhood that shares more
resources amongst the three properties. A group has been meeting which
consists of members/residents of all three properties. It is called
the Greater Songaia Neighborhood group.

Toward growing community,

Craig Ragland
Songaia resident from 1992-2010
New Earth Song founder
Life Song Commons resident from 2010-????