Re: Community Websites
From: Sean Davey (seandaveygmail.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 09:34:08 -0800 (PST)
Hi Sheila,

thank you for giving me the opportunity to address your concern. Mosaic is not
proprietary in the usual meaning of the word. I will be making the source code
available although my initial focus is on getting interested communities up and
running as quickly as possible. I'll also be working with communities who want
to run Mosaic on their own servers.

One thing that I'm curious to learn more about it how different communities
feel about privacy. Some may be happy using an online service such as Google
Groups or my hosting of Mosaic while others may be interested in hosting their
information themselves. Some may want to do all the technical work themselves
while others may prefer the convenience of having someone else setup and host
their site. Knowing cohousing, each community will probably be in a unique
place on the spectrum :-)

Drupal and WordPress are very good at what they do and if they meet your
community's needs, that's great. I'm excited at the prospect of any software
that is helpful to communities.

best,
  sean