Re: Planning for accessibility and visitability
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 06:38:09 -0800 (PST)
On 10 Jan 2011, at 9:44 PM, Debby Vajda wrote:

>    * People with physical disabilities have the opportunity to live in
>      community, and the community benefits from their presence.
>    * All community members are able to age in place, even as our
>      physical abilities change with time.
>    * All homes are visitable by everyone, broadening our connections
>      and friendships.

And we are all disabled at some point at all ages. Our accessibility features
are used every day by more people who are technically not disabled than they
are by the much smaller number who are technically disabled.

Just this week we have one resident with a broken foot and another with a
broken shoulder. If you have ever climbed stairs with a broken shoulder or
tried to open a door on crutches, you will understand how much an elevator or
sloped walkway and an elevator can mean.

Then there are the legions of parents with wheeled vehicles and packs of baby
stuff.

We have a large number of accessible units and most are visitable. It makes a
huge difference to us. DC as well is very accessible — I'm always surprised
when I travel how many cities still aren't.

A very nice message from Debbie. I hope this can be saved somewhere in the Coho
USA website.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines