Sharing Alternatives Re: Call for Presenters to the 2011 National Cohousing Conference (Deadline: Jan 28, 2011)
From: Melanie Mindlin (sassettamind.net)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:43:18 -0800 (PST)
Hi Wayne and all,

I don't often write on CohoL, even as I enjoy all of your fascinating contributions. The national cohousing conference may not be everyone's cup of hot beverage of choice, but for presenters it's really not an exaggeration to say that presenting at the conference is probably the best place to reach the cohousing community. A large number of attendees share knowledge gained at the conference with their communities back home, and a large number of communities pool resources to send a member to the conference for this purpose. In addition, videos and documents from the presentations are shared with the wider community afterwards through Coho/US.

I have attended 3 conferences, two during the forming stage of our community and one since. While creating our community, the information garnered at the conference was invaluable to our process. Another member of our community members attended a conference and brought back information I found extremely helpful after we'd been living in our community for a couple of years. Plus it's just plain fun to be around all those people who share the passion for community.

Not all activities are perfect for all people, and we must forgive the occasional use of hyperbole from our friends and compatriots. The cohousing movement does not pretend to be the final word on living frugally in freedom and responsibility without impoverishment. This is a question which our whole society must address if we are to move into the resource limited future with joy, creativity and civil rights. In my experience, there is no better place to learn the essential skills of caring and communicating with a community of people in common purpose.

Melanie Mindlin

Begin forwarded message: