Re: rental policy in these economic times
From: Holly McNutt (holly.mcnuttgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:08:21 -0800 (PST)
Hello Lisa and greetings from Nyland in CO,

Wow, that's a tough one.  I'm a home-owner here as well as being a realtor and
property manager. We have 42 homes here and many (at least 12) have a rental
unit, like a basement apartment. There are only a few houses that are all
rental, and only one is that way because it is a short-term rental while on the
market.  So we have maybe 10% non-owner occupied.
While we have a few long-term renters, it is true that the majority of tenants
will come and go at a faster rate than owners, and this does create more
turn-over in the community.  There is a learning curve for new folks and a
period of adjustment, but there is also wonderful new energy that comes with
the newbies as they fall in love with the community and want to contribute.
That doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but some of my best friends here are
tenants and I hope they will stay forever!  If they had to own to live here,
they would not be able to afford it.  We like to have some socio-economic
diversity here, so having rentals does make it possible for a broader income
range to be here.

I don't think Nyland has a specific limit on the number of rentals, or if it
does it hasn't come up in the 3 years I have been here.  I know we have more
renters now than the original creators of the community planned on, but we do
not have any rules and regs about this.  As far as I know, owners can occupy or
rent at their discretion.  Then again, Nyland doesn't have too many hard and
fast rules about anything, which is both a blessing and a curse!

In terms of financing, that is a big and valid issue.  Banks are so picky now
and they do look at the percentage of owner-oc versus rented units, but I think
you need to have at least 20% rentals before they will even bat an eye. Every
HOA has some rentals.  Coho communities probably have fewer than average. Bank
policies vary on that percentage, so I don't think I can give you a set number
that you should not exceed.  But it is a legit concern to anyone wanting to buy
in or refi.

The part about your community having a two-year max for tenants is scary to me.
 We have one tenants who is an angel who has been here over a decade.  If she
had had to leave after 2 years, what a loss that would have been for everyone!
We have many others who have been here a lot longer than two years. I wonder if
that policy could be changed.  For one thing, anyone signing up to rent KNOWS
in advance that they can't stay too long and I would think that would hugely
influence their involvement level and desire to connect deeply.

I think a key piece is that landlords need to take responsibility in finding
tenants who are a good fit for the community.  It's not always easy to judge
that up front, but certainly something to encourage.

I have more thoughts on this, but that's the most important stuff.  Good luck
with this challenging issue.

- Holly