Cohousing advocacy in DC
From: Grace Kim (graceschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:49:24 -0800 (PST)
The Board of the Cohousing Association (CohoUS) was in Washington DC this past
weekend for one of 2 annual face to face meetings.  We concluded our meetings
with 2 days of advocacy meetings with these national housing organizations
headquartered in DC:

Smart Growth America
Enterprise Community Partners
Urban Land Institute
National Association of Realtors
National Low Income Housing Coalition
Housing Assistance Council
Opportunity Finance Network
National Alliance of Community Economic and Development Associations
Leading Age
Council of State Community and Economic Development Agencies
National Housing Conference / Center for Housing Policy
National Fair Housing Alliance
Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition
National Council of State Housing Agencies
Stewards for Affordable Housing for the Future
US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Our objective was to introduce them to the concept of cohousing and establish
an ongoing relationship.  Much to our surprise, we were universally welcomed
and the organizations were genuinely interested to learn about our "innovative
housing model".  We were certainly successful in our introduction of cohousing
and will also be providing many of them with content for newsletters and
speakers for their conferences.  If you would be interested in offering your
assistance in writing future articles or speaking at conferences, please
contact Melanie Mindlin (volunteer coordinator for CohoUS).

Our most sincere thanks go out to Barbara Burnham, resident at Eastern Village
Cohousing who has significant advocacy experience on Capitol Hill.  She
provided the Board with the necessary training and resources to schedule and
conduct our outreach meetings.

And thanks to Jessie Kome (also of Eastern Village Cohousing) for helping us
arrange a meeting with HUD, where she works.

Many thanks also to Rodney and Tom of Eastern Village for their hospitality in
hosting our meetings and lodging many of us.  To Brigitte for her culinary
efforts.  To Steve and Ann at Takoma Village for their hospitality for lodging
a few of us and providing space for additional meetings.  To Jack at Blueberry
Hill for arranging for the boar to visit.  I'm sure I'm missing some kudos here
and will hope my fellow board members will pile on with those I missed.

The Board values and appreciates the many skills and talents that our cohousers
have.  We also welcome and encourage other cohousers out there to offer your
talents in service to the Association.  We would like to show the nation how
cohousing can be part of the national housing agenda...one neighborhood at a
time!

In the upcoming weeks, we'll be sharing some of the information we learned in
our various meeting relative to opportunities for incorporating affordability
into cohousing.  Stay tuned!

grace h kim aia
architect & cofounder
grace [at] schemataworkshop.com<mailto:grace [at] schemataworkshop.com>

schemata workshop inc.
<http://schemataworkshop.com/>
206.285.1589   1720 12th ave #3   seattle wa
98122<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=schemata+workshop&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl>
www.schemataworkshop.com<http://www.schemataworkshop.com/>
blog what's what in our world<http://schemataworkshop.wordpress.com/>